Tuesday, November 6, 2018

[OBDF 110] Papercraft: Final Revision

The final assignment of the Papercraft project requires us to revise our prototypes from the previous assignment. We have been given time for some in-class peer critiques on our prototypes. I have received positive and constructive feedback. In order to improve my craft, I have been informed to glue double faces for a more sturdy build. I should also make extra faces/tabs to glue the neck/arms/treads in a more effective and efficient way. Furthermore, I have been challenged to add details to the object such as WALL-E's hatch and use cardstock instead of drawing the eyes with a marker.

I increased some of the lines' thickness in order to see it clearer on the cardstocks.
After taking the feedback into account, I decided to make a WALL-E and EVE mashup. I redid the unfolding in Rhino plus added more as well as larger tabs to make cutting and gluing easier; thus, reinforcing the structure of the object. I knew I had to scale up the entire design because I wanted to put a boot with a plant inside of it, much like in the film, for additional detail.

When unfolding, I tried to plan the most effective and efficient way for the folding plus gluing process and not just the easiest way to unfold, e.g. tabs and extra faces. I did not model the plant in Rhino because of its small and organic form.

The templates and all of the tools required to score, cut, fold, and glue.
I cut the longer sides with an x-acto blade (thanks Josh) and the shorter ones with scissors.

Above are two Rhino renderings.



Finally, on the left, is my creation of WALL-EVE and next to it, is my prototype of WALL-E. I was pleased with the result and the fact that the critiques have contributed to the success of constructing my object. I found making WALL-EVE so much more simple than dealing with the minuscule tabs I made for the prototype.

I hope you enjoyed my process as much as I did working on this assignment. I am looking forward to see what we have in store for the next project!

2 comments:

  1. WOOOAAAAW sutch a coul and origonal consept! iv thinc itz it verry nise. *hand emogie* *praise amoji*

    ReplyDelete